- Business tax returns due date – corporations, LLCs and partnership returns with a calendar year-end are due on March 15, 2018. We must receive the majority of information to prepare these returns no later than February 9, 2018 or an extension will be filed.
- Individual tax returns due date – these returns are due on April 17, 2018. We must receive the majority of information to prepare these returns no later than March 9, 2018 or an extension will be filed. Any taxes you owe are due on April 17, 2018 regardless of whether or not you file an extension. An extension is to file not to pay. If you expect to owe taxes by April 17, 2018 and are filing an extension, we will not have time to estimate the taxes due unless we receive the majority of information by March 9, 2018.
- Engagement letters – the engagement letter represents the contract between us and describes the terms of the services we will provide for you. It establishes an understanding of each of our responsibilities in regards to filing a complete, accurate and timely return. We must have this signed and returned before we can begin working on your return so please be sure to include a signed copy with your tax documents so we can begin working on your return. You will use the 2018 engagement letter(s) available at the following link:
- Form 8879 – this is the form you must sign that gives us permission to electronically file your tax return. The IRS requires this to be maintained in our records so it must be received before we can e-file your return. It will be included in the pdf copy of your tax return when we send it to you for review. This will be the final step in finalizing your return and cannot be completed prior to this as it contains specific information from your final return.
- THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THE ABOVE DEADLINES. Please mark your calendars accordingly to prepare for these. Extended tax returns will not be started until the beginning of May at the earliest. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
- Tax notices – if you receive tax letters/notices from any taxing authority, we will be glad to review them to determine if they are accurate. However, this service will be billed at the applicable hourly rate and is NOT included as part of your tax preparation fee. If it turns out that an additional tax, penalty and/or interest is assessed due to an error on our part, you will not be charged for our time. In addition, we will either pay the penalty/interest or give you a credit for that amount off your next bill. The tax portion of the bill is always your responsibility, and we will not pay it under any circumstances.
- Time to complete – we will begin your return as soon as possible after receiving your information and will do our best to complete it in a timely manner. Please do not ask repeatedly about the status of your tax return(s) as we work on them in the order they are received and know they are in process or will be as soon as possible if you have not heard from us.
- Scheduling in-person and phone appointments – in-person and phone appointments MUST be scheduled. This is extremely important so that we can schedule a time that is convenient for both of us and allow us to provide the best service to all clients. Dropping in to speak with someone to discuss a tax question/issue without an appointment or calling repeatedly are not the most efficient ways for us to assist you so please refrain from doing so. It is extremely rare that we will be able to schedule a same-day or even same-week appointment during tax season so please prepare in advance for this.
- Communications – please allow up to 24 hours for us to respond to a communication from you. We will contact you as soon as possible but are most likely working with other clients and not available to respond at that moment. Please do not call or e-mail repeatedly as we will get back with you within the 24-hour time period or provide you an alternate time if that is not possible. If you have an emergency, please send us an e-mail so we can plan to call you back as soon as we are available. We respectfully request that you DO NOT communicate by text as these are easily missed. The preferable method of communication is e-mail unless it's not possible for some reason.
- Fees for appointments - in-person and phone call appointments will be billed at the applicable hourly rate. We do not want to "nickel and dime" our clients but time spent on phone calls adds up quickly when dealing with hundreds of clients.
Thank you for your cooperation with these policies. We’ll be glad to discuss any questions you have related to them.